Sunday, February 29, 2004

We woke up late today. 9am.

I guess it because all that ET movie last nite hehehehe.. I went straight for shower and getting ready for outing. Its a Rastro Day.

We went out at 11am and first stop was at the internet cafe coz we need to check flight tickets and rooms in Sevilla. Hopefuilly we can get either one. Shucks! Forget to bring paper and pen to jot down the numbers so have to come back later to browse the internet again.

They have the coin operated computer. You just need to slot in EUR 1 in the coin slot for one hour usage. The first time I used the computer, my coin was rejected. I had to ask help from a Brazilian who was sitting next to me.. hehehe cute! Anyway too young I guess. We chatted while the "technician" repaired and tinkle with the computer coin slot. So he was here studying and his mom was coming over that weekend.

After emailing some friends and updating them on our journey, we headed to Rastro which is about a kilometre away from Gran Via. I had to depend on Jules as she is the expert here. The Rastro is not far away from Plaza Mayor but the walk was pleasant due to the weather. It was not too cold like 2 days ago. The sun was up and everybody was having good weather day! hehehe

The Rastro day meant that all the shops are closed (coz it is on Sunday) and the stalls are lining up the roads. They were many stalls selling clothes, trinkets, CDs, leather goods and gifts. Well, since it is one of tourists attraction, the price can be a tad expensive. What I noticed that the traders do not like you to haggle too much. For them the price is always reasonable.

We stopped at ATM first as I need to withdraw some money. At first I got problem with the ATM. It refused to return my card! Darn! Punched every buttons. Finally got my card back. Had to stop at another ATM and this time with Bismillah I slotted my card, punched in my pin, answer some questions (such as prefer language. duh!) and the amount I want, I got my money and my card back. Yea!

The Rastro is more like Petaling Street. We had to take care of our bags though, just to be caution of any pickpockets. I guess my head had loosen for turning left and right watching all the goods sold in various shapes and sizes. I got dizzy just to see the cacaphony of colours around me. It was amazing! I tried to take pictures of the Rastro but there were just too many people around me. I could not stop without stopping the traffic along!

After browsing here and there, Jules bought some clothes for her nephew and niece while I settled for brass bell I found at the stall right at the end of the street. We bought some small trinkets before heading towards Plaza Mayor.

It was called Plaza de Arrabal during medieval times, the original architect of Plaza Mayor itself was Juan Gómez de Mora, who worked during the reign of Philip III. Under the Hapsburgs, the square rose in importance as the site of public spectacles, including the abominable autos de fe, in which heretics were burned. Bullfights, knightly tournaments, and festivals were also staged here.

Three times the buildings on the square burned--in 1631, 1672, and 1790--but each time the plaza bounced back. After the last big fire, it was completely redesigned by Juan de Villanueva.

Nowadays a Christmas fair is held around the equestrian statue of Philip III (dating from 1616) in the center of the square. On summer nights the Plaza Mayor becomes the virtual living room of Madrid.
.
The plaza is closed to motorized traffic, making it a pleasant place to sit at one of the sidewalk cafes, watching alfresco artists, street musicians, and Madrileños from all walks of life. Sunday morning brings a stamp and coin market. Around Christmas the plaza fills with stalls selling trees, ornaments, and nativity scenes, as well as all types of practical jokes and tricks for December 28, Día de los Inocentes -- a Spanish version of April Fool's Day. The plaza's oldest building is the one with the brightly painted murals and the gray spires, called Casa de la Panadería (Bakery House) in honor of the bread shop over which it was built. Opposite is the Casa de la Carnicería (Butcher Shop), now a police station.

On the way back, we stopped at a bakery and Jules told me to get any slice of cake I want. It was her treat for my belated birthday. Yea! Gosh! So much cakes to choose from. I settled to one cone with cream. Wow! So nice. It was like cornetto icecream but except for ice-cream it was only cream. Either vanilla or chocolate. I picked chocolate and Jules took vanilla.

8.46pm

Sitting at Cafe d Te filling in my travel journal while waiting for Jules. A glass of Cola Cao half empty. (Yeah! Call me pessimist, I don't care!)

Earlier we took metro that was almost burst with football fans, went to Santiago Bernebeu for Jules to watch her Real Madrid match, while decided to walked around town and do some window shopping. BAD IDEA.

All the shops were closed. I guess if there was an important match like Real Madrid playing meaning that EVERYBODY must close down shops and watch the match. Furthermore the match was on Sunday. nevertheless, it was still interesting to watch the empty city during match time.

I went round the whole block and had fun watching people parking their cars. Well, of course there were not enough parking bays for the cars during the match night. So everybody just park their cars at every nook and cranny of the road if they could squeeze their cute vehicles. And one thing I noticed that they don't mind bumped into other cars as long as they can squeeze and park their vehicles. It was funny. I remembered watching the advertisement on Kit Kat bar in the tele the other day. It was about a girl who was learning to park her car. Thump! she knocked the car's infront and another bumped when she reversed. You can see the panic on the instructor. She did that a few times and later gave her instructor a bar of Kit Kat.. It was funny.

Ok, about the department stores. Yes, all the stores were closed but some people still go into the department stores. these complexes were not locked except maybe Corte Ingles They just window shop and do nothing. I mean, they just loiter inside the complex. They were a few cafes opened but thats all.

We had agreed to meet at the shopping complex next to the stadium and by 9pm all the fans had started leave the stadium. I met Jules at the Cafe and she decided she wanted the Cola Cao too. She chatted happily about the game and how her idol Figo, scored the gol right in front of her. Well, Im happy that she's happy.

We decided to let everybody go and browse at some stalls selling Real Madrid memorabilia, fake of course. It was already 5C and the street was wet just been cleaned by the municipal people. I could see that patches of poodle became small ice poodle.. brrrr... so very cold!

Came back to the hostel and getting ready for bed. We are going to check out and head to Sevilla tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home