Thursday, February 26, 2004

IRUN - 7.36am

I could not sleep the whole night. My body hurt and I am still hungry. Some of my "roomates" had left at two stations earlier. I don't know where we are so I asked the girl under me whether we are already in Irun. She said no. Another station. Jules woke up earlier and went to the toilet to freshen up. I quickly donned my shoes, rummaged my bag for my toothbrush and toothpaste. Brought an empty bottle along for washing.

Right after I finished freshen up, the train slowed down. We are reaching Irun and it is still cold. Once the train stopped at the station, we lugged our bags down and were stopped by the immigration officers. There were several tourists who had already gathered around the two officers and showed them their passports.

We were ushered to a room at the back of the train. Just a routine check, we were informed. As usual, the only roses among the thorns hehehe. Our names were called one by one and after answering some basic questions such as our entry point and so on, we were released.

Out of the blue, one of the officers said "Terima Kasih" to us. We were so surprised that we didn't even asked how he knew the word means Thank You. We just smiled at him and automatically answered "Sama-Sama".

We immediately went to the ticket counter and after getting the money from the ATM machines we asked about tickets to Madrid, the counter said that there was no direct train to Madrid available today so we have to stop at Palencia first and then to Madrid. We agreed and bought the tickets.

I was in charge of taking care of the bags and sat on a bench that looked like a rail track.. It was unique. I took a picture of the bench.. hmmm

Took off the lid of my mee goreng container and was disappointed when the content smelled funny. Spoilt already. I am soo hungry and want something spicey. Lucky Juli's prawn still okay. Shared the seafood with her.

8.45am

The train to Palencia finally arrived. It is just two coach train but modern. Spacious and have baggage compartments for travellers like us. We were given numbered seats. So it was not first come first serve. I like the train hehehehe. As usual the inspector came to check our tickets and we were happy to oblige him.

From Palencia we took another train to Madrid. This train is not as modern as the one we travelled to Palencia, but it was okay, with the bags compartments and all. Still it was comfortable.

The train ride went through rural areas and the view was spactacular and actually I saw my first snow there. Wah! what a jakun. For a person who had travelled before , this was the first time I saw snow.. I giggled like demented person! Jules just rolled her eyes.
"It's just your luck to be stucked with a demented person like me," I cackled.

Up the hill we went.. then down to the plains... into tunnels and out.. wow! I was enjoying the view that I did not mind the five hour train ride.

5.45pm

Finally we were at Charmartin Estacion and first destination would be at Santiago Bernabeu. We have to buy the match ticket. The taxi driver was amused that we want to stop at the stadium first but he understand as the reason why most people come to Madrid was to watch the match. Furthermore with David Beckhams as one of the main players, More Brits are coming to the city to give support.

Anyway, once we reached the stadium, we proceed straight to the ticket counter. Ops! tickets sold out.
Jules was disappointed. Really disappointed. I can see that.
So I had to pacify her and told her that we still can buy the tickets from the ulats in front. The ulats probably afraid to approach us to sell tickets as we were carrying our big bags along.
Took another taxi ride to the hostel area and checked in for the night.

We were lucky to find a room at the hostel as most of them were fully booked because of the match this Sunday. Jules's mood had improved a bit and I've decided that we have to go get something to eat.

So after having our first shower for the first time in three days, we performed our solat jama' maghrib and Isya' and went down hunting for food.

Jules showed me the famous Pizzaria where she and Deal used to buy pastas and pizzas. so, she recommended the Spinach speghetti and bought two. Stopped by a shop to buy mineral water and drinks to last for the next day.